Join the WHPA on Saturday, June 12, 2021 at the Hotel Mead, 451 E. Grand Ave. Wisconsin Rapids for the Annual Summer Meeting
Room blocked under Wisconsin Honey Producers Association. Please book your room early to take advantage of reduced rate. Call (800) 843-6323 to make your reservation.
Registration Fee: WHPA members $25, non-members $35 (includes lunch)
Please pre-register at https://wihoney.org/2021-summer-meeting/. If you have any issues registering online please call Karri Burzynski 715-644-5681.
Summer Keynote Speaker, Dr. Katie Lee – Dr. Katie Lee is a post-doctoral researcher on the Minnesota Agriculture for Pollinators Project (MAPP) led by Dr. Dan Cariveau at the Univ. of Minnesota. The project assesses the benefits of pollinator plantings on both honey bees, wild bees, and natural enemies in southwest Minnesota. Lee leads the honey bee team that looks at how the surrounding percent natural area and pollination plot size affect honey bee health. Her previous research focused on metrics that indicate honey bee colony and queen health. She developed a parasitic V. destructor sampling protocol that is now a nationwide standard. In collaboration with the non-profit organization the Bee Informed Partnership, she founded the Northern California and Upper Midwest honey bee Tech-Transfer Teams that provide services for commercial beekeepers by assessing colony health, sampling for pathogens and parasites, and testing breeding stock for disease resistance behaviors. Lee serves on the board of the American Beekeeping Federation and her long-term goal is to conduct research that generates practical information for beekeepers.
SUMMER MEETING AGENDA
Friday June 11th 2021
- 6:30-9:00pm: Social
- *We will be ordering pizza and appetizers and asking those that attend who will be eating to chip in $15 for food. Drinks are on your own.
Saturday June 12th 2021
- 7:30 a.m. Registration opens
- 8:30 a.m. Welcome WHPA President, Jon Logterman
- 8:45 a.m. Wisconsin Honey Queen Anna Evenson
- 9:00 a.m. Dr. Katie Lee: Varroa mite biology and management
- 10:00 a.m. ABF Update – Kent Pegorsch
- 10.00 a.m. Break
- 10:15 a.m. Youth scholarship beekeeping program overview
- 11:00 a.m. ABF Honey Queen Jennifer Hinkel
- 11:15 a.m. State Update, state inspector
- 11:45 a.m. WI State Fair update
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. Dr. Katie Lee: Working for commercial beekeepers with Bee Informed Partnership’s Tech-Transfer Teams
- 2:00 p.m. Expert Panel Q & A: “What the Heck Did I Get Myself Into?”
- 2:30 p.m. Adjourn
- LB Werks open house after meeting, 3:30pm